Friday, July 10, 2015

Cho Sun Ok - Korean Restaurant

Cho Sun Ok

July 9, 2015

Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_by black applett

Been to this restaurant a few times. One of my favorite Korean BBQ (tabletop cooking) restaurants in Chicago- authentic Korean cuisine, serves by Korean imo (aunts).

Just to clarify, the restaurant name "Ok" means "House". It is pronounced as Ok, not "Oh-kay"- but I have been saying it as "Okay" a few times. embarrassed smiley And how did I know it means house? Well, there was one time I overheard a Korean explaining it to his friends. lol.

So it was Juei Min's 22nd birthday, and here we are having some BBQand spicy food. If you notice from the picture above, there is a line outside of the restaurant. Every time I came here for dinner, there's ALWAYS a line. If you dislike waiting, I suggest you to come during lunch time- you are able to enjoy the food rather slowly, and not feeling pressured (because people in the line would usually be starring at you from the door, and you know, they are hungry). 

Small Dishes- Appetizers


Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_small dishes_by black applett
Small dishes- there was once I tried to refill them after I finish my beef BBQ and before they cook the fried rice. I was told small dishes are only allowed to refill before you finish your BBQ. So fellows, if you love any of these dishes, gulp down and ask for refill immediately.

Kimchi Jigae

Kimchi, glass noodle, pork, a little bit of hard tofu
Soup is inclined towards hot, sourish and spicy.

Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_kimchi jigae_by black applett

SoonDuBu Jigae 

I have always loved tofu in hot soup. This dish has always been my must-order dish whenever I'm in any Korean restaurant.

Soft tofu with seafood (or the choice of beef)
Soup is hot, salty and spicy.

Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_soondubu jigae_by black applett

ChaDol-Gui

Non-marinated, thinly sliced beef.

The way I cook it would be placing slice by slice on the pan, and serve once I didn't see any red spot. Beef cooks pretty fast. However, the server usually come over and help you with the cooking, given that there is a line waiting, and we still have another bbq and fried rice to be cooked. Things work pretty fast here, it's all about quick quick quick.  Do not take it personally if you feel like you are being rushed. This is how the restaurant works- efficient. 

Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_sliced beef bbq non-marinated_by black applett
The way I cook- slow, slice by slice.

This is the way they cook it, throw in the beef, stir stir stir- DONE. 

Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_sliced beef bbq non-marinated_by black applett

NakJi-Gui

Marinated octopus with glass noodle, aka Korean noodle.

I like this too! Both octopus and glass noodle are chewy. Me likey chewy-likey. drool smiley

Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_octopus marinated_by black applett
Before- BOILING

Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_octopus marinated_by black applett
After- DIG IN! 

This is my first time ordering 2 types of BBQ/ Tabletop cooking, they usually cook the kimchi fried rice right after the beef. But this time, they cook the beef, then the octopus, then finished off with kimchi fried rice. I was worried about the taste of the fried rice, but it is still very tasteful as they will add on extra kimchi for you, and throw in any leftover kimchi from the small dishes (if you have not finished them). 

For all the dishes above, just sit back and enjoy your meal as they will cook them for you.


Amount + gratuity: $78 
2 BBQ, 2 soups.


A picture of the group.

Cho Sun Ok_Korean Restaurant_by black applett

And we all smell like BBQ smoke, every time after a meal here.
It's night time, if you do not wish to shower, wear shower cap and go to sleep.
As for me, I usually shower, and wash all my clothes. 
You may just hang your clothes for a night or put them under the sun to get rid of the smell. 


No comments:

Post a Comment