Sunday, August 16, 2015

Uni Sushi & Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams

Uni Sushi

August 1, 2015

Dinner time at Wicker Park, a classy type of Japanese restaurant.

From the outside, as well as the logo of the restaurant, I would never thought it would be a restaurant.  It feels like US's Japanese restaurants always have the sophisticated interiors; most of them have the Bring Your Own Beverage (BYOB) policy, technically it is referring to alcoholic drinks. This restaurant is not an exception too.


Looking in from the right side from the entrance, where we seated.

Uni Shooter

First right up! A plate of 3 shots for the Hero, Superstar and Better Half.



Salmon roe, quail egg, sea urchin, cucumber & unknown sauce - $6.95
Well, I guess I'm not a fan of sea urchin. Like I think I remember how it taste like, at the same time, I don't think I remember. *teehee* 
Comment: The whole shot has a very smooth texture, basically I just "bottoms up" and at the very end I kinda chewed a little, and I tasted the sea urchin. 4 stars


Pork Belly Ramen


Braised pork belly, seaweed, bamboo, quail egg, mushroom, pickles, onions - $114
Comment: first thing I taste from a bowl of ramen would be the soup, the quality itself is very important. What I'm trying to say is that soup made from salt, MSG, and soy sauce is a 
.  
This bowl here has passed the "soup test", then goes the ramen, very Q (meaning it is very chewy). Everything is good except the mushrooms, the smell is too strong.
3.8 stars

Bulls

Spicy tuna, mango, mushroom tempura, crunch $12.50
Sushi, nothing much to talk about it, beside it must not fall apart, it would be the whole feeling because that's how I eat it: dipped the sushi into wasabi and soy sauce and YUMMMM.bulbar smiley I just know I feel like having another one, but I would finish up Superstar's dinner.
4 stars

Sox

Super white tuna, salmon, tuna, crab tick, oshinko, oba leaf rolled with radish - $14.50
Comment: It has already mentioned in the menu that this dish does not have seaweed or rice, and it surprised me that it is so presentably beautiful. Side note: fish wasn't as fresh as it feels like.
3.5 stars

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams


Off off we went to the fairly new ice-cream store on North Milwaukee Avenue.

It was 10:30pm when we arrived and there was still a line.  Everyone likey some sweet treat.


Better Half's choice: Sweet Cream and Root Beer 
Oh my the root beer is a yum toooooooooo! I feel it complements the Sweet Cream.

Darkest Chocolate and Brown Butter Almond Brittle. Darkest chocolate is love!


I had Sweet Cream (top) and Brown Butter Almond Brittle. Both pale white in color, they're good! Bourbon Salted Pecan was sold out, and had these combinations: would not choose these two combinations; feeling too sweet. I would love to try Bourbon Salted Pecan and Darkest Chocolate next time! Kudos to the waffle, I saw the lady making it on the spot, fresh, and IT JUST SMELLS AND TASTES SOOOO GOOOD!!! 


Was laughing so hard at Superstar crazy cuckoo face when JM was taking the pic. Credit to JM for the pic!


The Enrichment of Food - Black Apple.

1 comment: