Tuesday, July 14, 2015

35th Annual Taste of Chicago 2015 (Part 2)

July 12, 2015



I have leftover tickets, so here I am at #TasteofChi on its final day.
It was steamingly hot that day, and Chicago downtown is filled with people who loves free sun tan as usual on a sunny day.

This time, I have tried "Taste of" as well as other stuffs that are on menu (original portion). Let's start with our first choice of the day.


1. Miller's Pub

14 tickets    3 stars (on menu)
Roasted Turkey Leg 

Miller's pub, the first pub I went to with my ex-roommates for dinner back in 2013 when I just first settled down in Chicago. I still remembered we ordered deep dish pizza. It's a must-try food in Chicago and my first impression of it was "err....it looks like normal pizza, just an inch thicker". Roommate told me that it wasn't authentic.

Ok back to the topic, they serve the famous turkey leg!


Lots of queues, but I was glad the waiting wasn't long.

TADAAAAA!!! IT WAS HUMONGOUS! Attention seeking turkey leg. BLING BLING


I like the tender skin and meat, not the overcooked part (not much).


Couldn't really bite it like normal chicken drumstick


Took about 20 minutes to finish the turkey leg all by myself, technically yes- my friends only had 2 tiny bites from it.

Mouth, nose and sunglasses stained with BBQ sauce. Note to self: bring more wet tissue.


Comments: Original or with the optional BBQ sauce. Guess everyone would go for BBQ sauce that the server did not bother to ask. Though it gets messy, it's something new to me and definitely worth the try!

2. Caffe Gelato

5 tickets    2.5 stars (Taste of)
Blood Orange Sorbet & Peach Cobbler Gelato





Wanted to try the "Taste of Lemon Sorbet" but they ran out of it- so the only choice left is blood orange sorbet (right).

Comments: Blood orange sorbet taste good. The more I have, the more it reminds me of this orange flavored cod liver oil I had when I was young. The peach cobbler gelato is not my "scoop of ice-cream". 

3. Gold Coast Dogs

5 tickets   3 stars (Taste of)
Half Chicago Style Hot Dog



Comments: Yes, half of it; the sausage is so little- because it tastes good that's why I'm complaining.


4. Dinky Donuts

5 tickets   3 stars (Taste of)
Dutch Cocoa & Ancho Mamma's Chile 




Comments: He told us the flavor for each but we forgot. Was a little disappointed when we found out that it was just mini donuts covered with powdered sugar. They are quite soft, breaks easily,but but but.....served hot, sweetness just right- thumbs up!

5. Riva Crabhouse

5 tickets   2.5 stars (Taste of)
Seafood Gumbo & New England Clam Chowder


Comments: Seafood Gumbo is not rich enough- feels like hot water with salt, shrimp, tomato, etc. Clam Chowder is richer, but the texture is like congee- not sure if those are potatoes? 

6. Lawrence's Fish & Shrimp

5 tickets   2 stars
Popcorn Shrimp 


Comments: Without the cocktail sauce, these popcorn shrimps are dry and tasteless. Nothing special.

7. Vee-Vee's (African food)

5 tickets    3 stars
Sauteed Goat & Plantain

Wanted to try this the first time when we were there but they ran out of it and we forgot to go back.


Comments: very appetizing & juicy. This would go well with a plate of rice (since it's salty) & salad (all meat no veg makes Nicole a carnivore).

Re-visited

1. Iyanze- Bolat West African Flair
4 tickets   3 stars (Taste of)
Jerk Chicken & Caramelized Spicy Wings

I have made a review on caramelized spicy chicken at the Taste of Chicago (Part 1) post. This time I got to taste Jerk Chicken- just fine. Bet it would taste better if it wasn't dry and if it's dark meat.


2. La Mexicana
4 tickets   3.5 stars (on menu)
Watermelon, Strawberry, Lemon-Lime & Mango Paleta

They ran out of "Taste of", instead of selling the normal size of paleta at 6 tickets, they sold it for 4 tickets. 

I can't help it but to have watermelon paleta again. Then I tasted a little of lemon-lime and strawberry. Just after 10 minutes, I went to buy Mango flavor paleta  I blame it on the weather 



This is the proof: Steamingly HOT Weather
 




 My mango paletaaaaaaa, final food dessert for the day. 




Goodbye Taste of Chicago. I hope to see you next year. Hopefully I am one of the vendors. 
DREAM BIG!

3 comments:

  1. ... i knew u were gonna give the popsicles the highest rating hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lololo yayayayaya i said i can be biased....lol

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete