Friday, July 24, 2015

Ken Kee Restaurant 强记餐厅 - Chinatown, Chicago

July 11, 2015

Ken Kee Restaurant 强记餐厅 

Been hearing a lot about this restaurant. Came here on a Saturday night around 9:30pm and it was full. Got to wait for 10-15 minutes for seats. 

This is how it looks like at night.

It's not a huge restaurant, probably fits 70 people. (given that each table fits 4 people).

Dace Balls with Watercress in Mini Wok - $7.95
I always have a weakness for hot soup and fishballs. So I ordered this. Sad to say the soup is quite tasteless, it feels like hot water with some salt, garlic and soy sauce. Fish balls has some vege blended inside which tastes ok.
2.5 stars

Shrimp (with shell) fried with Salted Egg - more or less $10.95
This is very tasteful. For any of you who have not tried salted egg, it has the dried egg yolk kind of texture, and it's salty, very appetizing. It would be best if it comes in more salted egg sauce because I likey!
3.5 stars

Burning Seafood in a Flamed Mini Wok - $8.95[It is with satay (peanut) sauce soup base, it has shrimp, crab meat, squid, vege and glass noodle]
This is the most disappointing dish of all. I am a Malaysian and I do know how satay sauce tastes like. This is nothing like satay sauce. It's worse than the dace balls soup. Literally boiled water with super little taste of peanut.
angry smiley 1.5 Stars


July 18, 2015

Despite the not-so-satisfying meal and impression of Ken-Kee. I still believe they have other dishes which are good. So here I am, second time, ordering different dishes.

Ong-Choy (Hollow vegetable) with garlic - $7.95
 Instead fried it with Malaysian Shrimp Paste, I prefer my vegetables to go with garlic. The leaves are soft, the stems are huge, but no big deal.
3 stars
Young Chow Fried Rice with Shrimp & BBQ Pork - $6.95
YUM YUM YUM, I like this. Not too oily, everything just tastes right!
3 stars
 
Japanese Tofu in Salt & Pepper - $7.95
I actually like it :) Salty, goes well with rice. Level 1 spicy, perfect for those who like spicy but can't stand it. It's actually a good dish, but perhaps they should change the oil that they use to fry these tofu, because the tofu pick up some other food's smell.
3 stars


It may sound like I have a lot of comments about all these dishes, but I really would not mind going back for other dishes. They still have some improvements to make.
Ken Kee is situated at Chinatown, Chicago (The red building area). You can dine in, carry out or ask for a delivery. You may also order online through KenKee.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment